Quality Assurance Engineer
SmartNews is a global leader in redefining information and news discovery, committed to providing users with accurate, timely information and supporting quality journalism. We combine the power of our unique machine-learning technology with the expertise of our first-rate editorial team to bring news that matters to millions of users from our over 3,000 global publishing partners. Founded in 2012 in Tokyo, Japan, SmartNews has offices in Tokyo, San Francisco, Palo Alto, New York, Shanghai, Beijing, and Singapore.
Our Quality Assurance team ensures the quality and reliability of our products and services through rigorous testing, defect identification, and collaboration with development teams, ultimately delivering a seamless user experience of SmartNews application.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Conduct thorough testing, identify defects, and collaborate with cross-functional teams in an Agile environment to deliver high-quality software products.
- Implement Shift Left approach by actively participating in early stages of development to design and execute comprehensive test cases, including functional, regression, and integration tests to ensure adherence to quality standards.
- Report and track defects, such as JIRA, working closely with development teams to investigate and resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Continuously improve QA processes and methodologies, incorporating tools for automation and innovative techniques to optimize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Stay up-to-date with industry best practices, emerging technologies, and trends in QA, and share knowledge within the team to foster a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
- At least 3 years experience in software testing for mobile and/or web, test case design, and defect tracking
- Proficiency in Agile methodologies and knowledge of the software development lifecycle
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
Nice to have experience/skills
- Experience in using test tools such as TestRail, JIRA, Postman, Charles (Web debugging proxy)
- Experience in test automation and tools, such as native testing framework, Selenium, Appium
- Understanding of CI/CD pipeline tools such as Jenkins, or CircleCI to automate development workflow and streamline release process
- Familiarity with code version control systems such as GIt
- Familiarity with cloud platforms, such as AWS to conduct testing in cloud-based environments
Benefits available at the SmartNews Tokyo Office
- Lunch and snacks prepared daily in our on-site kitchen facility
- In-office coffee stand offering single-origin coffees, espresso-based beverages, teas, and other seasonal drinks
- SmartSelect, our support program for employee self-development, well-being, and productivity
- All healthcare and social insurance required by the Japanese labor law
Visa Sponsorship and Relocation Support
- Work visa sponsorship is available for candidates who meet eligibility requirements
- To support a smooth transition for candidates who are moving to Japan from overseas, SmartNews partners with a travel service provider