(Senior) Software Engineer, Backend (Product Development)
SmartNews is a global leader in redefining information and news discovery, committed to providing users with accurate, timely information and supporting quality journalism. We combine the power of our unique machine-learning technology with the expertise of our first-rate editorial team to bring news that matters to millions of users from our over 3,000 global publishing partners.
One important step toward achieving our goal is developing a highly-scalable, world-class backend platform. If you thrive in a collaborative environment, are driven by challenges, and possess a deep understanding of backend systems, we encourage you to apply and become an integral part of one of team!
Founded in 2012 in Tokyo, Japan, SmartNews has offices in Tokyo, San Francisco, Palo Alto, New York, Shanghai, Beijing, and Singapore.
The Product Development Platform team will take responsibility to own build and maintain the backend systems powering SmartNews features across the globe such as like Elections, Live Events, Incentives, SmartTake, Weathers & Disasters and more.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Design, build, test, deploy and maintain backend systems used by millions of users every day
- Own the development and maintenance of a key product platform to capture and manage our users’ interests and actions. This platform will be one of the keys to our product development strategy in 2024 and beyond
- Participate in system design and code reviews across different domains to ensure we maintain a high standard of quality across our systems
- Join on-call rotation to monitor and ensure mission-critical systems are healthy and available
- Work closely with product and business stakeholders to successfully prioritize, plan and deliver new products to our users
- 3 years of backend software development experience
- Experience designing, building, testing, launching, and maintaining large-scale backend systems
- Skilled in Java/Kotlin programming languages
- Experienced in CICD practices
- Experience with microservices architecture using container technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills for both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Fluency in English or Japanese
Nice to have experiences/skills
- 1 year or more in a tech lead role
- Knowledge of and experience using AWS cloud resources
Benefits available at the SmartNews Tokyo Office
- Lunch and snacks prepared daily in our on-site kitchen facility
- In-office coffee stand offering single-origin coffees, espresso-based beverages, teas, and other seasonal drinks
- SmartSelect, our support program for employee self-development, well-being, and productivity
- All healthcare and social insurance required by the Japanese labor law
Visa Sponsorship and Relocation Support
- Work visa sponsorship is available for candidates who meet eligibility requirements
- To support a smooth transition for candidates who are moving to Japan from overseas, SmartNews partners with a travel service provider